Saturday, March 15, 2008

Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day March 15, 2008
or should we call it
"Garden Bloggers' Gloom Day"

I admit that I took these pictures yesterday. Rain was expected for this morning and soggy it is! I faced a bit of a challenge this month getting photos of of plants in my garden that are in bloom. My garden is long on potential but a few subtle plants offered a hint of blossom. First I included this snap of a hardy cyclamen only because I am always surprised to see it return.




My skimmia japonica is showing berrys and can't be counted in the GBBD but it is pretty this time of year.

I planted this sarcococca last year; it's a young plant but it is in bloom!


My helleborus foetidus should have bloomed by now. Its buds are waiting for a warm suuny day.

Finally, one of my andromedas (cultivar unknown) has a single open bud, in the center of the photo.

I enjoyed taking the time to savor these subtle beauties as I await more flashy blooms next month.

Happy Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day all. I look forward to visiting your gardens today.
Kathryn J.

9 comments:

Carol Michel said...

Happy Garden Bloggers Bloom Day to you as well. Spring showers bring more flowers, we hope. At least it is not snow on the garden. I like the hellebore, a species I don't have. If only I had more shade!

Carol, May Dreams Gardens

Shady Gardener said...

I have one hellebore; it's unlike yours. Some fellow (I suspect a rabbit) nipped a number of its leaves early on this past Winter. We can't expect Spring weather quite yet, or much of anything new to be growing. But, it won't be long. :-)

Frances, said...

So much potential, yes. I think berries and lots of other non flower things are allowed, these rules are made to be broken. If it looks good to you, include it! I would love to grow those cyclamen, we have some dry shade, but never think of them when ordering plants. Your garden doesn't look gloomy at all!

Frances at Faire Garden

Mr. McGregor's Daughter said...

Pieris/Andromeda is one of those plants I wish I could grow, but it wouldn't like my soil. Yours will be stunning when it start blooming.

Silvia Hoefnagels . Salix Tree said...

I love sarcococca, it blooms here during the winter, and has the most enchanting scent. I must get one for my own garden someday.

Entangled said...

Interesting blog! I enjoy reading (and viewing) garden history, so I'll be back often.

I've admired Helleborus foetidus in catalogs, but wonder just how foetid it is.

kjohnson said...

Thanks for all your comments.

Salix, I do not have enough sarcococca to catch it's aroma. I have used them in clients gardens for years but I didn't start maintenance work in their gardens until a little later in the year and must have missed the scent. Very interesting.

I do not find the foetidus hellebore "stinking". But then again I do not find composted manure offensive either. :-}

Anonymous said...

Thanks for leaving a comment for me...especially since it led me to your blog. Looks like we have been doing this for about the same amount of time. I am impressed with the look of it, as well as the information, and will add you to my blogroll so my few loyal readers can find you as well
I'm one of the few people who find the scent of sarcococca unpleasant, but love those big black berries

Sarah Laurence said...

Your spring is at least farther along than Maine. I'm enjoying the early spring in England this year.